Everything You Need to Know About Unshaven Hair Transplant
If you are someone who likes to keep your hair long, you may be wondering if there is a hair transplant option for you.
Luckily, there is!
Unshaven hair transplant is a way of performing hair transplants without the need to shave the entire head. There are three different ways that this can be done:
- By shaving the donor area while keeping the recipient area unshaved.
- By partially shaving both the donor and the recipient area.
- Or by keeping the hair long without shaving any part of the head.
Each method has its own benefits and drawbacks, so let’s discuss everything you need to know about this procedure.
What is an Unshaven Hair Transplant and How Does it Work?
While most hair transplants still require shaving the entire head, some patients are now opting for unshaved hair transplant (UHT). The procedure is also known as the U-FUE where the “U” stands for Unshaven.
This minimally-invasive procedure doesn’t require shaving the head, which can be a deterrent for some men considering a hair transplant. Instead, only the donor area is shaved, from which hair follicles are harvested. In some instances, the donor and the recipient sites are shaved only while the other hair is kept untouched. Some clinics even go the extra mile and offer hair transplant with long hair which means the hair is not shaved at all.
Below we’ll discuss the pros and cons of each option and the expected results. But first, let’s understand more about the reasons that drive people to choose hair transplant without shaving.
Why Do People Get a Hair Transplant Without Shaving?
Patients who opt for an unshaved hair transplant have several reasons for doing so. For some, it may be a matter of personal preference – they simply don’t want to shave their head. For others, it could be a religious or cultural belief that prevents them from shaving their head. It could also be due to their work conditions which require them to appear in a certain way.
Some patients may also feel like they do not want to shave their heads because they are self-conscious about their hair and don’t want people to see them with a shaved head. While this is understandable, it’s important to keep in mind that hair transplant surgery is a very common procedure and people are generally understanding about it.
Whatever the reason may be, U-FUE hair transplants are becoming increasingly popular as more and more people are looking for options that don’t require them to completely shave their heads.
Types of Unshaven Hair Transplant
When it comes to FUE without shaving, there are three main types of procedures: complete shave, partial shave, and no shave.
Fully Shaved Hair Transplant
As the name suggests, in a full shave, the entire head is shaved before the surgery in order to remove and implant the hair follicles. This provides a clean slate for the new hair follicles to be implanted. However, it also means that there will be a period of time when the patient is completely bald.
- Allows the surgeon to have a clear view of the scalp.
- Better control which ensures that all the grafts are placed in the correct position.
- It also means that there is no hair in the way during surgery, which can speed up the process.
- Offers a more complete and natural-looking result.
- Some patients may feel self-conscious about being bald for a while.
- Some job requirements may require patients to keep their hair long.
Partially Shaved Hair Transplant
In a partially shaved hair transplant, there are different options based on the patient’s hair loss degree.
- Only the donor and the recipient areas are shaved while the rest of the hair is kept long.
- Shaving only the donor area. This is especially used in restoring receding hairlines.
- And the last option is keeping the hair long without shaving at all. This is done when there are some visible patches that don’t require transplanting a big amount of hair grafts.
- It can help to camouflage the transplant during the healing process.
- Faster recovery due to a fewer number of hair grafts.
- Provides an unclear view of the scalp especially when the hair is kept long and not shaved at all.
- It’s a long procedure.
- The original hair and the newly transplanted hair will grow at different paces.
- Aesthetically unpleasant look especially when the donor and recipient area are only shaved.
Hair Transplant With Long Hair
Some patients don’t want to shave their heads so they opt for a hair transplant with long hair. This procedure is suitable for those who have a limited thinning area or visible gaps and don’t require big numbers of grafts. It also has its pros and cons:
- Could be a good option for those who are self-conscious about their appearance and don’t prefer shaving.
- Faster recovery due to a fewer number of grafts.
- Scabs and scarring are less since a limited number of grafts are transplanted.
- Results could be affected due to unclear vision because of the long hair which gets in the way.
- Labor-intensive and time-consuming process since it must be handled carefully and with high skills.
- May lead to unprecise placement of the grafts
- Could make the washing process harder and difficult to remove the scabs.
- Long hair can be tangled with each other which may damage the grafts.
- It could be a costly procedure.
Shaven vs Unshaven Hair Transplant
When it comes to deciding between shaven or unshaven hair transplants you will need to weigh up the pros and cons of each option. Also, you must consider the factors that make you a good candidate by talking to your doctor.
A fully shaved hair transplant has many advantages over unshaven in terms of the quality of the results. If we compare their pros and cons we can see that having a full shave will guarantee better results, and a bigger number of grafts which means maximum coverage.
However, the unshaven hair transplants are basically good for those who care more about their post-surgery appearance and for ultimate discretion. Especially, women prefer this procedure as they find it very hard to shave even some parts of their hair.
Best Techniques for Unshaven Hair Transplant Turkey
An unshaven hair transplant in Turkey can be done with both FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) methods. The FUE method involves taking individual hairs from the donor site and transplanting them to the balding area. This can be done with a special tool (punch) that removes small circles of skin containing the hairs.
Another popular hair transplant technique is called FUT. This involves taking a strip of skin from the donor site and transplanting it to the balding areas. The hair follicles are then carefully removed from the strip and transplanted to the balding area.
It’s important to note that when using the FUT technique a partial shave – at least for the donor area – is a must. Because it requires a surgical intervention which must be done with maximum care. Whereas the FUE technique can be done by either shaving part of the head (donor and recipient or donor area only) or no shaving at all. Especially if the DHI technique was used which can provide better placement of hair follicles between the existing hair strands.
As discussed above each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, you must discuss all the possible options with your doctor based on your individual needs, goals, and degree of baldness.
Who is a Good Candidate for a No Shave Hair Transplant Surgery?
Unshaven FUE hair transplant is not suitable for everyone as it depends on the individual’s hair type and pattern of hair loss. Here are some factors your hair transplant doctor will take into consideration when planning your eligibility to have it without shaving:
- Your hair loss degree is the main deciding factor. If you are suffering from a receding hairline/temples or have a mild hair loss that requires only a small number of hair follicles then unshaved hair transplantation can be possible.
- Women who want to reduce the size of their forehead and don’t have an advanced degree of hair loss.
- And the most important thing is to be in good health.
To see if this is the right option for you, you have to consult with a hair specialist. The specialist will be able to assess your individual case and advise you on the best course of action.
How Much Does Hair Transplant Without Shaving Cost?
The unshaven hair transplant Turkey cost is also something to consider. The price may be higher since the procedure is more complex, labor intensive, and takes longer to perform.
When compared with a traditional hair transplant in Turkey with a full shave you can expect to pay an additional charge of $250-$500.
Risks Associated With Not Shaving Hair Before Hair Transplant
When it comes to hair transplant operations, one of the most important considerations is whether or not to shave the head. For some patients, the idea of shaving their heads is simply too daunting, and they opt to go with unshaven hair transplants instead.
However, there are a few risks associated with this choice. First of all, it’s important to keep in mind that hair grows at different rates all over the head. This means that the unshaved hair will grow at a different rate than the newly transplanted hair so they will need to get a trim more often.
In addition, unshaven hair may make it more difficult for the surgeon to get a clear view of the scalp, which could lead to complications.
Finally, patients who choose an unshaved hair transplant operation will need to take extra care to protect their incisions from infection. All things considered, it’s important to weigh the risks and benefits before making a decision about a hair transplant procedure.
Unshaven Hair Transplant Aftercare
After you have your unshaven hair transplant, you will want to take good care of your scalp. The process is the same as the traditional hair transplant; however, it may be a bit challenging in the case of a hair transplant with long hair. The reason for that is because the hair could make it hard to properly clean the scalp and remove scabs. It could also prevent you from fully applying the ointment to the transplanted areas.
Instructions to Follow After Long Hair Transplant
After the procedure, it is important to follow the instructions given by your doctor in order to promote healing and prevent infection
- Keep the area clean and dry by gently washing your hair using the shampoo given to you by the clinic.
- Do not scrub or scratch the area.
- You may also be told to use an antibiotic ointment on your scalp. This will help prevent infection.
- After a couple of weeks, you can start using a regular shampoo but make sure to avoid any harsh chemicals.
- Avoid heat treatments for at least six weeks. This includes hair dyes, perms, and straightening treatments.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight.
- Stay away from any strenuous activities including heavy workouts, football, and swimming.
- Quit smoking for 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Make sure not to drink any alcoholic beverages for a week after the surgery
How Long Does It Take to Recover from Hair Transplant Without Shaving?
One common worry people have before undergoing a hair transplant procedure is how long the recovery process will take. Fortunately, unlike other types of surgery, there is no need for a lengthy recovery period after a hair transplant. In most cases, patients are able to return to their normal activities within 1-2 weeks.
Total recovery time after hair transplant will depend on the type of hair transplantation, the number of grafts transplanted, and your individual healing rate.
However, those who opt for a no-shave hair transplant they recover faster due to the small number of grafts.
How to Choose the Right Hair Transplant Doctor?
If you’re considering an unshaven hair transplant in Turkey, the first step is to choose an experienced and reputable doctor. Make sure that the doctor you select has the needed experience and skills to perform unshaved hair transplants.
You can also ask for photos of patients who had FUE without shaving to get an idea of their work.
Unshaved Hair Transplant Results
Unshaved hair transplant results can vary depending on the hair growth rate and the number of grafts. In general, however, most patients will see some regrowth within 8-9 months after the procedure.
For some people, this regrowth may be very sparse, while others may see significant new growth within 6 months. In general, it takes about 12 months to see the full results of an unshaven hair transplant.
Before and After Photos
Nothing is better than seeing a real-life example of a hair transplant for yourself. The following patient requested to have a hair transplant without shaving at all. But after examining his condition we explained to him that a partial shave is needed.
He had a general thinning and no visible gaps which makes it not possible to perform the surgery without shaving at least the front and donor region.
Finally, we agreed to only shave the donor and the recipient area and he accepted that.
Here are his results before and after unshaven hair transplant.
Our Final Thoughts
So after all these discussions about getting FUE hair transplant without shaving the head, do we recommend it or not?
Well, there is no definite answer as it depends on the case itself and the degree of hair loss. If the patient only suffers from a receding hairline then a hair transplant without shaving the recipient area can be done.
While in some hair transplant clinics a no shave hair transplantation is performed. But at our clinic, the donor area must be shaved since keeping the hair long can damage the extracted hair follicle.